Dr. Sandy Hurwitz, DVM
Dr. Sandy Hurwitz has owned and operated AVDH since 1975. His philosophy is to practice cutting edge veterinary medicine in a caring environment. He uses the most advanced diagnostic and therapeutic equipment, procedures and pharmaceuticals available.
Earning a double major in Biology and Psychology, Dr. Hurwitz was the first student at Trinity University to ever earn a double major. After completing his bachelors’ degrees, Dr. Hurwitz finished his Trinity education with a Master’s Degree in Physiological Psychology under Dr. Fredrick J. Bremner, a well-respected investigator in brain research. From there, Dr. Hurwitz headed north to Texas A&M University. He completed a doctorate in veterinary medicine with special interests in diagnostics and surgery.
Throughout his distinguished career, Dr. Hurwitz has attended extensive advanced courses in veterinary medicine. Courses include:
- Small Animal Rigid Endoscopy
- Small Animal Flexible Endoscopy
- Small Animal Ultrasonography
- Advanced Laser Surgical Techniques
- Computed Tomography (CT) in Companion Animals
- Laparoscopy in Small Animals
- Tibial Tuberosity Advancement (TTA) Cruciate Repair
- Echocardiography in Felines and Canines
- Small Animal Orthopedics and Implants
- Wet Chemistry Hematology and Serology
- Endodontics in Companion Animals
Dr. Hurwitz is married to AVDH Hospital Director, Leslee Hurwitz and together they have 6 children and 6 grandchildren. He is a two time Past Rotary Club President and past President of the Oak Hill Business & Professional Association. Currently, he is developing a world recognized wildlife photography ranch (link to Transition Ranch) in South Texas. Dr. Hurwitz is a renaissance man that is loved and admired by all his staff. His hobbies include ranching, mentoring, photography, and horseback riding.